1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Enjoy playing our servers and want to support the community? Purchase VIP today!

Rejected Wrongful bans

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Waffle, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waffle

Waffle Senior Admin

Due to the popularity of some names there appear to be duplicates. I think a solution to wrongful bans which may occur due to the chaotic nature of having to quickly deal with mass freekillers I believe a good solution would be allowing admins to undo their own bans if they are wrongful.
    This won't completely erase the log but instead of the log becoming blue or red, it will become yellow as to allow there to be a record of the ban having been wrongful.

2. Papyrus

Papyrus Admin

+1 I agree it is difficult when theres duplicate names.

3. Alphys

Alphys User

-1 If wrongful bans ever happen, they are usually removed by a member of the leadership. Although this rarely should happen, it might be nice to have the ban removed, colored, or noted upon it was wrongful; this should only be done by leadership, but it can easily be removed from logs or noted upon. The color would be unnecessary Alhough it may take longer, you should be able to ban the right person using the status command. If your point is that people ban the wrong people, I would simply use their special ID found in the status command. Banning the wrong person is much worse for the server than attempting to ban the mass freekiller quicker because the freekiller will continue to kill if you fail rather than being precise and eliminating them with 100% assurance. TL;DR: Instead of trying to give a crutch to reverse it try to find ways to not wrongfully ban.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. Waffle

Waffle Senior Admin

I believe special ID's are useful when the person stays on long enough for you to get it and type it into chat but if the freekiller is getting off right after his kills and comes back on then it's just another name and id you need to get before you can ban him.

5. Alphys

Alphys User

The thing is, you aren't giving a solution to that problem. You're saying you should be able to remove the bans. If you fail, and have to unban the person, you would be letting the freekiller leave and possibly evade the ban.

6. Alphys

Alphys User

The special ID really actually shouldn't take that long. status in console, copy, and paste.

7. Waffle

Waffle Senior Admin

but you're assuming that a freekiller takes like 20 seconds or so to spray down a dense stack when it just takes a couple of seconds tops and by the time we open console and get the id they could already have got off and changed their name.

8. Alphys

Alphys User

Forget the ID. What is your solution to that issue? The yellow ban log is not helping the fact that it takes long to correctly ban the freekiller with a common name. What are you just going to ban everyone with that name and unban the innocent ones after?

9. Sexual Frustration

Sexual Frustration Member

You know what, I completely disagree with you calling admins who get the ban off on the wrong person incompetent, as I have been admin for quite some time and just today went to ban a mass freekiller, and he disconnected whilst I pressed enter, which left an incorrect ban.
    Could this have been avoided with status? Yes.
    Would I have used status instead if I was in the same position? No, because it takes longer, leaving a chance for the player to disconnect, and come back under another alias, and mass freekill again, just like the player I attempted to ban did, and the only reason we caught him before he was able to do it again is because he went under an almost identical name which was suspicious.

Could I have contaced leadership? I was trying to get into contact with leadership, but there were not members online, and then he came back and got caught before he could do anything.

This leaves me agreeing with what Waffle said, and also suggesting that we be able to also steam id ban any recently connected players within the hour, in the case of leadership being away. Yes we could just wait and ban if they do something, but it would help prevent more chaos, which I think to be more important.

10. Alphys

Alphys User

I'm simply stating you can use status to ban someone correctly. Never said not being able to correctly ban someone with similar names means you are uncompetent. I'd have trouble myself. That is not what I said. If anyone has a solution to THAT issue it'd be great.

11. Alphys

Alphys User

My comment referred to the status ban option, which takes longer but would work correctly. Forget the time, no one was discussing it. We are all looking for a solution here and I was suggesting a steadfast way to do it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  12. Sexual Frustration

My appolgies, the way it was worded sounded to me as that being a shot at admins who accidentally ban the wrong person, but I see what you meant.

13. Alphys

Alphys User

Thank you, sorry for making it seem like that. I'll change it in case it seems like that to other people.

14. Sexual Frustration

Simply introducing a rule that no person can have a duplicate name would probably be an easy fix, leaving member+ have priority name over others, with W/K/B B=60m since minor violation, seems reasonable to me.

15. Alphys

Alphys User

Of course there is always the impersonation rule, but for names such as "Xados' Lost Puppy", there should probably be a rule against stuff like that. Unless someone else has a solution to ban the right person. Although it may be unintended, maybe it should be classified under trolling?

16. Korean(고독한)

Korean(고독한) Advisor Application Team

You guys make it too hard, if you have that much trouble with names use the # ID when banning . No need to add any of this .

17. Alphys

Alphys User

See exactly I agree totally @Korean(고독한) . It doesn't take that long. I was trying to be agreeable but honestly the solution is right in front of us.

18. Lembo

Lembo YIFF manager Team Manager Media Team Premium VIP

I agree wth Korean, but there's on top of this as admins you should be aware of who is on the server and make a solid effort to be aware when similar names or duplicates are on. You set an example for all players so you should act as highly as you can. If the ban takes longer or you miss it because they disconnect, just report it to leadership. It's not the end of the world.

Alphys likes this.
  19. Alphys

Alphys User

@Lembo Totally agree, as I said before we just need to use what we have to resolve this issue, such as the special ID, awareness.

20. Kieran

Kieran *insert money here* Founder Technical Team Premium VIP

Rejected, The only people who will ever be able to make a ban disappear (not just unbanned) will be ComMgr, Any mistakes will be kept in the ban history with notes stating that the ban was by accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.